[rdfweb-dev] Relationship Schema Updated

Richard Lennox listserve at richardlennox.net
Sun Mar 14 16:44:02 UTC 2004

Ok Im pretty new to this but will throw my opinion into the pot.

Firstly, is it not enough to just say spouseOf? There is no indication of
wife or husband just that  X is the spouse Of Y.  In todays societies there
is no reason as to why gender should come into this relationship at all.
Gender describes the person not the realationship.  The point regarding
male-roles and female-roles in the relationship - maybe 50yrs ago there were
defined roles but not today.

Other relationships can be inferred through logic.  parentOf for example,
gender specifies that the person is either father or mother, despite the
practical parental role played in the childs life.   For example,
scientifically at this point in time Women cannot be fathers (maybe with
gene work in the future but there would need to be great social change).
Somewhat different point: should there not be something to say while not
biologically parentOf, parentOf in the case of adoption.