[rdfweb-dev] RE: FOAF-interest usage

Leigh.Dodds at ingenta.com Leigh.Dodds at ingenta.com
Sun Mar 14 20:59:41 UTC 2004

Hi,

> <foaf:interest>
>   <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.ferrarichat.com">
>     <dc:title>Cars</dc:title>
>     <dc:description>I like exotic cars</dc:description>
>     <dc:subject>ferrari, lamborghini</dc:subject>
>   </rdf:Description>
> </foaf:interest>

No quibbles on the syntax, but not sure the intent is the
same as Ben's original example. The above is largely
describing the resource at http://www.ferrarichat.com
rather than providing particulars about someone's interest.

e.g. it's stated that the foaf:Document at ferrarichat.com
has a title of "Cars" and a description of "I like exotic
cars". Which isn't the same thing as further qualify my interest.

I've never been particular comfortable with foaf:interest,
mainly because of it's range of foaf:Document. I'm not interested
in a document, but a subject.

Personally, I think to achieve what Ben wants requires another
class, e.g:

<foaf:interest>
  <eg:Interest>
     <dc:title>Cars</dc:title>
     <dc:description>I like exotic cars</dc:description>
     <dc:subject>ferrari, lamborghini</dc:subject>
  </eg:Interest>
</foaf:interest>

This would require changing the range of foaf:interest to be
Resource which seems more flexible IMO.

Cheers,

L.