[rdfweb-dev] RE: FOAF-interest usage

Morten Frederiksen mof-rdf at mfd-consult.dk
Sun Mar 14 22:05:47 UTC 2004

On Sunday 14 March 2004 21:59, Leigh.Dodds at ingenta.com wrote:
> No quibbles on the syntax, but not sure the intent is the
> same as Ben's original example. The above is largely
> describing the resource at http://www.ferrarichat.com
> rather than providing particulars about someone's interest.
True, there's currently no way to qualify an interest.

> I've never been particular comfortable with foaf:interest,
> mainly because of it's range of foaf:Document. I'm not interested
> in a document, but a subject.
Well, the way it's currently described, it actually does mean that:
"The foaf:interest property represents an interest of a foaf:Agent, through
indicating a foaf:Document whose foaf:topic(s) broadly characterises that
interest." -- http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#term_interest

The advantage as compared to a more "free-form" description of ones interests
is that it is much easier for machines to realize when two people share an
interest.

But agreed, the downside is that it's not possible to "enhance" the interest
description (at least not with making subproperties).

Regards,
Morten