[rdfweb-dev] Re: isbn - rdf:about or IFP

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Mar 15 08:38:12 UTC 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Dan Brickley wrote:

> I asked about this in a thread on the Z39.50 list recently, since the
> ISBN spec is being updated.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-zig/2004Mar/0003.html
>
> It seems the spec is clear that re-use is an error, so ISBNs _are_ IFP
> and data that fails to resspect that is just plain wrong.

So if a publisher has produced two books with the same ISBN then one
doesn't exist? Suggest for "_are_" read "_should be_" - unless there's a
handy way to get this right other than just asserting that data is
wrong? In the past the uniqueness of ISBNs was obviously seen as
unimportant. Maybe a disambiguation rule that uses IFP for new-style
ISBNs (which, one might hope, will be safely assigned in the future).

User interface? I hardly know 'er!