[rdfweb-dev] RDF and OAI

Alejandro Fernandez a.fernandez at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Mar 16 13:48:06 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm currently trying to find out about the possibility of using RDF
rather than OAI for small scale metadata harvests where records are few,
technical savvy is low and only a handful of catalogue holders actually
exchanging data.

I've just come out of a major project trying to get various UK HE
institutions to interoperate and do OAI based sharing of record metadata
for online catalogues( eg http://www.sosig.ac.uk/ ). The difficulty was
that OAI was in some cases too large and complex for people to
implement, and some saw it as overkill when their collections were very
small.

I wonder if there are already people using RDF for this, or even
software or APIs being planned for it? I'm hoping a few of you might be
on this list. I've just found out about Atom which might get me some way
towards seeing how a resource metadata handling API would look. I wonder
also if it makes sense to compare these two technologies in the first
place? Would they both work together at some level?

Thanks,

Ale Fernandez
ILRT

Ale