[rdfweb-dev] RE: IMP schema thoughts

bryce benton himself at brycebenton.us
Tue Mar 16 13:07:37 UTC 2004

Jeremy Gray wrote:
> If you haven't already, it would also be a good idea to look at Photoshop's
> Action scripts, its History mechanism, and things like that.

I very briefly looked into Photoshop's Action scripts. This simply
involved opening an .atn file in a text editor and observing, "Nope, not
text based."

Aside: In my recent surfing around, I've discovered that a macro
recording feature akin to Photoshop's (very simple to use) Action
recording feature is something that has been repeatedly requested of the
GIMP for several years. Not being a GIMP developer, I don't see what's
the big deal: "Hey GIMP, everything that I do, just make a note of it."

It seems to me that there are certainly overlaps between the GIMP,
Photoshop and other IMP's. For any function, you need to know the name
of the function and some parameters. Even if one program might expect or
allow more or less parameters, at least *some* of the parameters would
surely be the same for congruent functions.

One thing that comes to mind is ADODB, which abstracts various SQL
languages into a common language. MySQL may want a query written one
way, but MSSQL may like it another way. No problem: just change the
ADODB database parameter.

Actually, the GIMP is already abstracted. It's already possible to call
the features from several languages (Perl, Python, Ruby, et al).

Making these calls work on different IMP's could be as complex as
invoking some sort of translation/converter script or simply doing the
steps manually.

--bryce

p.s. Hey, I just found this potentially helpful tool[1]: it converts the
pdb into HTML documentation files. This could be tweaked to create a
schema, no?

[1] http://hans.breuer.org/gimp/pdb/pdb2doc.py