[rdfweb-dev] Re: Prefixed rel attribut value (Re:Relationship Schema Updated)

Masahide Kanzaki post at kanzaki.com
Thu Mar 18 15:11:51 UTC 2004

Hi Ian,

>I saw some discussion on another list (maybe rdf-in-xhtml?) around
>using the full URI in the rel attribute, e.g.
>
><a rel="http://purl.org/relationship/friendOf" href="foo">...</a>

Yes, I think Dan Connolly mentioned that on rdf-in-xml [1], and Sean B.
Palmer suggested using uri as a class value [2]. Both are basically the
same idea to make those properties webized.

>It's a bit verbose but unambiguous. For the sake of readibility the
>plain friendOf or maybe rel.friendOf (with appropriate link tag) would
>be better. I'm open to allowing the prefixed form and can write up
>guidelines for it if there's a demand for it.

Well, if we want to use multiple vocabularies in 'lower case semanticweb'
way, it's important to distinguish which belongs to which. Unfortunately,
profile attribute in head element doesn't help, so I think RFC 2731 style
link element and prefixed attribute values would be a possible solution.

I have a writeup on this issue (in general) at [3] (Japanese with some
English).  I hope you'd consider writing some guidelines for this usage.

cheers.

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2004Mar/0002.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-talk/2001JanFeb/0112.html