[rdfweb-dev] "Can Social Networking Stop Spam?"

Graham Klyne gk at ninebynine.org
Thu Mar 18 21:30:06 UTC 2004

[From ACM technews... #g]

# "Can Social Networking Stop Spam?"
NewsFactor Network (03/15/04); Martin, Mike

A new algorithm developed by UCLA professors P. Oscar Boykin and Vwani
Roychowdhury applies social networking principles to spam filtering. "We
routinely use our social networks to judge the trustworthiness of
outsiders...to decide where to buy our next car, or where to find a good
mechanic," notes Roychowdhury. "An email user may similarly use his email
network, constructed solely from sender and recipient information available
in the email headers, to distinguish between...'spam,' and emails
associated with his circles of friends." The researchers' algorithm
processes a specific user's personal email network to concurrently
determine both the user's trusted networks of friends and spam-spawned
sub-networks, Boykin explains, adding that the algorithm distinguished
between spam and legitimate email with no errors or false negatives in a
recent test. The researchers studied six weeks' worth of emails from
assorted individuals so they could ascertain the "components" of their
email network, a component being a series of nodes that can connect to each
other in the network, according to Boykin; analyzing "clustering
coefficients" in a network--provided the network is big enough--is an easy
way to tell spam and non-spam components apart. Boykin says he and
Roychowdhury observed that clustering coefficients run high for non-spam
components, and are equal to zero for spam components. Roychowdhury's
colleague attests that the algorithm can be used to train content-based
filters to recognize words and phrases typical of spam and non-spam, once
50 percent of email can be accurately classified as either junk or
legitimate email. Boykin points out that the tool also produces white lists
and blacklists used to verify that content filters are properly classifying
email.
Click Here to View Full Article:
http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_title=Can_Social_Networking_Stop_Spam_&story_id=23355