[rdfweb-dev] Another relationships proposal

Danny Ayers danny666 at virgilio.it
Sat Mar 20 10:30:47 UTC 2004

[After typing this I realised that I'd not allowed for the case where
people would like say they are e.g. sisters where there is only a
cultural tie. This is probably more desirable than the biologically
derived version I've got below, so basically I've changed my mind...
Maybe all the derived terms could be prefixed, e.g. bioSister..?]

I've kept clear of discussions on this so far, but I just thought maybe
it was time to interject a cliche and pretend to be contributing: there
seem to be several different facets to what's being modelled, so isn't
it possible to divide and conquer?

First off, at the top there's a common pattern that is saying A
isRelatedTo B (naming is another facet ;-)

Then I'd suggest there's the biological relationships - it could be
(parent+gender) or (mother | father) . The latter seems a better bet,
there is a cultural angle on gender. I would be tempted to include
parent as a common superproperty - forget the cultural interpretation,
just define rel:parent as *biological* mother or father.

I think those two relationships (motherOf, fatherOf) together with a bit
of logic should be enough to allow modelling of all biological
relationships. Sure, things like brother and aunt might be useful in the
vocab as shorthand for typical (predominantly Western) familial
relationships, but if these are derived from the basic relationships
then there may be cases where e.g. the cousin in the real world wouldn't
match rel:cousin - not a problem, the terms used are only really names
for the properties, they don't have to coincide 100% with reality.

So on the biological branch of isRelatedTo I'd suggest a base of:

isRelatedTo
    parentOf
       motherOf
       fatherOf

which can be filled out with more culture-specific terms that will cover
most of the current (Western) usage, derived from the 'pure' biological :

isRelatedTo
    brotherOf

A brotherOf B
=>
X parentOf A
X parentOf B

This doesn't mean you can't model relationships found in other cultures,
just that the shorthand terms are there to simplify things in the
majority of current cases.

Other kinds of relationships, such as work-related and friendships could
appear in entirely separate branches below isRelatedTo.

[I give up.]

Cheers,
Danny.