[rdfweb-dev] Smushing the Semantic Web / Invalid data in IFP's

crschmid at uiuc.edu crschmid at uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 22 14:26:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 01:09:51PM -0000, Ian Davis wrote:
> Perry Lorier said:
> > Since I assume these all come from the LJ data, and LJ has one nick per
> > person, this seriously shows that smushing on IFP's with the presence of
> > bad data is practically useless.
> This is showing a flaw in the LJ interface. Are they forcing people to
> enter Jabber IDs?

No. The Jabber ID is a form field along with all other information -
like Yahoo, AIM, MSN account, etc. If the field is not filled in,
nothing will be displayed, if it is, something will.

All fields in the LiveJournal user information are optional, and are
described as such in the description at the top of the page.

> In that idealistic fantasy world that I sometimes inhabit I'd say this is
> LJs problem - they should be validating their data.

Possibly true.

> In the real world however, we're going to have to deal with this. At some
> point your smushing is going to uncover a contradiction. You need to have
> a strategy for handling this, e.g. rejection of the sources that caused
> the contradiction.

Exactly. Whether it's LiveJournal's fault or not, I could just as easily
get all my friends to use "FOAFSUCKS" as an AIM name - merely for the
point of polluting FOAF data. There is currently nothing in place that
makes that data invalid in smushing or even considers it. Although
LiveJournal is a major source of data, it could just as easily happen in
many other cases.

-- Chris