[rdfweb-dev] Smushing the Semantic Web / Invalid data in IFP's

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Tue Mar 23 08:36:14 UTC 2004

Ian Davis <iand at internetalchemy.org> wrote:
>In that idealistic fantasy world that I sometimes inhabit I'd say this is
>LJs problem - they should be validating their data.
>
>In the real world however, we're going to have to deal with this. At some
>point your smushing is going to uncover a contradiction. You need to have
>a strategy for handling this, e.g. rejection of the sources that caused
>the contradiction.
>
>It may be that using only inverse functional properties that we can't
>force enough of these contradictions to be useful ("hey this guy's got a
>LOT of email addresses.."). We probably need a smattering of functional
>properties as well ("hey this one's got two dna fingerprints, now THAT
>aint right...")

I would love to see a FOAF validator in the style of Mark Pilgrim/Sam
Ruby's Feed Validator[1]. Something that could say:-
- Please put in PPD.
- That doesn't look like a Jabber ID.
- You seem to be making FOAF descriptive statements about multiple
people. Is that deliberate?
- You appear to know yourself. Well, yes, but,
- 4 of the seeAlso links in your file return 404
- A depiction resource appears to be an html web page
and so on.

I suspect that this would be the single most important project that we
could do at this stage[2].

I suggested earlier this year that we all make an effort to improve the
quality of FOAFspace, both by going back and cleaning/updating our own
feeds and also moaning at people who's feeds don't make sense. We were
asked to hold off because the relationship schema was being worked on.

Well I don't want to wait any longer.

As an aside, Typepad is on the verge of growing dramatically with the
announcement of the deal with NTT and uBlog. Movable Type 3 is coming
soon. Livejournal is already huge. Tribe.net is on the verge of turning
on FOAF. Putting effort into improving these would dramatically raise
the bar on the overall quality of FOAFspace.

[1] http://feedvalidator.org/
[2] http://rdfweb.org/topic/ApplicationIdeas

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:                 http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:          http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433