[rdfweb-dev] Smushing the Semantic Web / Invalid data in IFP's

Perry Lorier perry at coders.net
Tue Mar 23 12:44:06 UTC 2004

> I would love to see a FOAF validator in the style of Mark Pilgrim/Sam
> Ruby's Feed Validator[1]. Something that could say:-
> - Please put in PPD.
> - That doesn't look like a Jabber ID.
> - You seem to be making FOAF descriptive statements about multiple
> people. Is that deliberate?
> - You appear to know yourself. Well, yes, but,
> - 4 of the seeAlso links in your file return 404
> - A depiction resource appears to be an html web page
> and so on.

As a quick hack I've implemented
http://coders.meta.net.nz/~perry/foaf/validate.php which does all of the
validations you talk about above except for #3 (I don't understand?), as
well as enforcing a regex on mbox_sha1.

The parser I use (rdfapi-php) is uh "eclectic".  It decides that
mbox_sha1's should be treated as URI's and canonified relative to the
base uri (which then breaks them).  I have absolutely no idea why it
does this.  The error messages at the moment aren't particularly
helpful, they can be tidied up later.  The parse also doesn't understand
using &entities; to fudge xmlns:'s for attribute values, and barfs with
a parse error on them.  Solution: Find another parser with more sane
semantics, or learn how to use this one correctly.

Idea's for other things to validate are appreciated, and actively sought.