[rdfweb-dev] FOAFnet and the future of FOAF in commercial systems

B.K. DeLong bkdelong at pobox.com
Thu May 6 22:45:50 UTC 2004

At 12:22 AM 5/7/2004 +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:

>E.g.
>* changing the term_status property on foaf:name and foaf:knows to "stable"?
>* drawing a line through the middle of the spec document with foaf:name
>and foaf:knows above it labelled "Core", and everything below the line
>marked "Modules"?
>
>danbri and libby are the maintainers of the spec, and personally I'm more
>than happy to go with their judgement. But so far I don't think they've
>been given anything to judge...

I dunno...I'm still pretty green and considered a newbie here but from what
I've seen, I'd say FOAF core would be: foaf:knows and foaf:name - anything
else a MUST HAVE for  a core foaf? maybe foaf:mbox? Then FOAF Basic would
be a combo of combo of FOAF Basic and  Personal Info
(http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#sec-foafbasic). Then I'd consider modularizing
Online Accounts, Projects & Groups, as well as Documents & Images as 3
separate foaf modules.

But that's just me... ;) From looking at RSS and RSS Modularization.

As far as other things? I'd look at using DC or something to differentiate
between expired email addresses once associated with the user, current
email addresses and a preferred/primary address.

Same with phone - use vCard or DC to define cell/mobile, work, home, voice
mail & primary/preferred.

Are there other proposed foaf properties out there? I heard foaf:bdate was
under consideration but this is taken care of with bio:Birth.

--
B.K. DeLong
bkdelong at pobox.com
+1.617.797.2472

http://ocw.mit.edu                        Work.
http://www.brain-stream.com               Play.
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org        Potter.
http://www.city-of-doors.com               Sigil.
http://www.hackerfoundation.org          Future.
http://www.osvdb.org/                         Security.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE