[rdfweb-dev] FOAFnet and the future of FOAF in commercial systems

Marc Canter marc at broadbandmechanics.com
Fri May 7 06:51:32 UTC 2004

So, Marc, would you agree that the fundamental issue is that FOAF is
currently and desparately in need of being refactored into a nicely
locked
down core specification and a range of extension modules?

Other readers: agree or disagree?

Jeremy Gray

===================

Marc's finally back from a hell of a meeting (trying to lock down a
seriously buggy product - called 1Up.com.)

===================

Here's the minimum FOAF spec that the FOAFnet is proposing....... (kudos
to Julian Bond and Paul Martino)......

Minimum [must be there to be FOAFnet compliant]

foaf:PersonalProfileDocument //Identify this document as being primarily
about one person

foaf:maker
foaf:primaryTopic

foaf:Person

foaf:name
foaf:mbox_sha1sum // encrypted email
foaf:img // person's face or image associated with them (or depiction?
or logo? I understand the need but I'm not sure which one to use. Most
systems have a thumbnail, icon, picture attached to that person and
displayed in most places that person is referenced. That's the image URL
that should be here.)
foaf:knows // list of friends.... Optional, if they have no friends

foaf:person

foaf:name
foaf:mbox_sha1sum
rdfs:seeAlso //Link to FOAF file. Obviously optional if there isn't one

Desirable [we're debating on whether or not this is required or not -
certainly many systems will not have all this data]

rdf:Description //Information about this document

dc:title
dc:description
admin:generatorAgent
admin:errorReportsTo

foaf:Person

foaf:weblog // or home page
foaf:title
foaf:firstName
foaf:surname
foaf:Organization
foaf:phone
foaf:IM IDs //Any Instant Message IDs and nicks. Beware exposing email
addresses
foaf:workplaceHomepage
foaf:based_near

geo:Point geo:lat="" geo:long=""

vCard:ADR //Address info. vCard is the best I've found.

vCard:Street
vCard:Locality
vCard:Region
vCard:Pcode
vCard:Country

rdfs:seeAlso //Don't use seeAlso to point at anything but more FOAF.

bio:keywords //I prefer this to interests. Comma Separated.