[rdfweb-dev] FOAF & Privacy

elijah wright elw at stderr.org
Fri May 7 21:24:45 UTC 2004

> >I don't know if PGP or SSL is a wider spread encryption method.
>
> As far as I know SSL is widespread but PGP seems to be more user-centric
> and SSL server-centric.

it is quite possible to do user certificates with SSL (so that one can do
pseudo-verification of identity), rather than just securing connections,
but it is sort of a pain.

the hassle that it takes to set up a decent certificate authority and have
it WIDELY USED is one of the reasons that this is not something people
have tended to do.

i would have serious qualms about any sort of FOAF-ish tool that had
reliance on any kind of central registry or directory service for
security.  it is just damn hard to do.

elijah