[rdfweb-dev] FOAF & Privacy

Marc Canter marc at canter.com
Sat May 8 17:15:22 UTC 2004

| i would have serious qualms about any sort of FOAF-ish tool that had
| reliance on any kind of central registry or directory service for
| security.  it is just damn hard to do.
Agree 100%. Not only because it's hard to do (and insecure) but also
because of fundamental anticentralism. I was thinking more about
something like httpsy, with this we get also rid of the centralistic
domain-name system. check out: http://www.waterken.com/dev/YURL/httpsy/.

Wouldn't this be a great platform for a foaf-net?

cheers,
reto

==============

Marc's reply.....

I don't know anything about httpsy - but dude - your email was
encrypted, yet my Outlook decrypted it.  And that's from Microsoft - the
evil enemy.

I assume a) you don't trust Microsoft but b) it worked so what does that
say?

That FOAF is just a wrapper - a way to keep all those identity things in
one place.  What each vendor does with it - is up to them.

A centralized storage of FOAF is just that, and only that.

Tribe.net might choose a heavy lifting, Liberty Alliance-like
authentication approach.

Drupal folks prefer a simpler approach.

The folks at SixApart recently released a TypeKey system.....

For everyday of the week - they'll be another security privacy
technology - which may or may not work.

But FOAF will remain a constant - a way of saying "this is me, here's
all my stuff about ME.... (including my friends.....)"

:-)