[rdfweb-dev] FOAFnet and the future of FOAF in

Jeremy Gray jeremy at jeremygray.ca
Sun May 9 16:53:46 UTC 2004

[mailto:rdfweb-dev-bounces at vapours.rdfweb.org] On Behalf Of Joel De Gan
> Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 11:12 AM
> To: Rdfweb-Dev
> Subject: Re: [rdfweb-dev] FOAFnet and the future of FOAF in

-snip-

> I don't disagree, I think the 'module' approach is probably best
> here. Maybe a 'foafExtended' module to pick up these stray pieces, or
> mix and match with your 'foafAvatar' like the new ones that yahoo just
> introduced (my wife was excitedly showing me those yesterday) of
> course these could all be combined into the extended module.

As long as by "the extended module" you actually mean "a range of extension
modules", then I'm in complete agreement with you. :D

-snip-

> Anyway, the module approach (ala:
> http://www.perceive.net/schemas/20021119/relationship/ ) is an
> excellent way to add in things to foaf without forcing anyone to
> implement your particular flavor of foaf. But, obviously if everyone
> does that, it is going to be a nightmare.

True. One of RDF's great freedoms is that we _can_ all go off, invent our
own little modules, and then infer between similar redundant modules, but
the more we can share efforts and avoid creating such redundancies the
simpler and more performant resulting the result will be. Somewhere between
a single monolithic spec and a million-and-one redundant
individually-created specs lays a happy medium that allows modules to be
developed quite freely and with minimal redundant effort while
simultaneously stabilizing the impression people have of the family of
specifications as a whole.

Jeremy Gray