[rdfweb-dev] FOAFnet and the future of FOAF in

Victor Lindesay victor at schemaweb.info
Mon May 10 07:29:42 UTC 2004

Julian wrote:
> Person
>  yyy
>  knows
>   xxx
>  acquaintanceOf
>   xxx
> Is fine because if I don't understand acqauintanceOf I can
> just ignore it.
>
> If its written like this
>
> Person
>  yyy
>  acquaintanceOf
>   xxx
>
> then you're saying that yyy has no "knows" until I process
> the information that acquaintanceOf is a sub class of knows.
> For this one namespace it's ok because it's becoming a
> standard and reasonably well known. Until the tools
> automatically discover this information, it's hiding
> information that could have been used.

This type of information is available at runtime for ex:
http://www.schemaweb.info/webservices/rest/GetSubProperties.aspx?propert
y=http%3a%2f%2fxmlns.com%2ffoaf%2f0.1%2fknows

Closely bound to RDF is the notion that we build in 'intelligence' and
'reasoning' into our software. If we can't be bothered with this then
XML rather than RDF is the better solution for exchanging data between
social software.