[rdfweb-dev] FOAF & Privacy

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Tue May 11 09:59:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Reto Bachmann-Gmuer wrote:

> elijah wright wrote:
> | and being able to use the public keyservers rather than having to
> | 'bootstrap' something from scratch is a pretty nice notion.
>
> a foaf-wrapper to keyserver would be very nice, but I think the approach
> of distributed foaf-triples is far superior to the concept of key-servers.

I'm not convinced, at the moment, because pragmatically I'd like these
things to work together. Much better if FOAF and PGP can interoperate.
What that comes down to is a mapping from the PGP notion of identity
into the FOAF one. Being able to import trust aspects (in particular
message validation) from an established system is far preferable to
bootstrapping one of your own (again).

Ever see something and think, "I've gotta leverage me some of that?"
Odds are, you were looking at a synergy and didn't even know it.