[rdfweb-dev] Re: [RSS-DEV] FOAF ?

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Mon Nov 1 15:27:51 UTC 2004

+cc: foaf list

* Hammond, Tony <t.hammond at nature.com> [2004-11-01 15:05-0000]

> Hi:
>
> This may be a silly question but why is there no 'mod_foaf' module for RSS
> 1.0? It would seem to be a very obvious vocabulary to enable. I realize that
> a module as such is not required to include terms within an RSS feed - but
> it does provide a uniform documentation and a guide to usage.

This reminds me of a question that came up in the recent Dublin Core
meeting in Shanghai. We talked about updating the mod_dc documentation,
and ways of generating it from DC's own documentation process. Since the
FOAF spec is partly script-generated, we could perhaps do the same thing
for FOAF. I'll have a think about this, but in the meantime, folks can
have a look at http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/index.rdf and think about
writing scripts that take this RDF/XML as input, and which output a
document describing use of FOAF constructs within RSS 1.0.

Two warnings: (i) please consume that data as RDF not XML; I don't
guarantee not to change the XML serialization of the FOAF schema (ii)
note that the FOAF namespace is an evolving one, and that terms within
FOAF carry metadata about their maturity level. This might be worth
reflecting into any FOAF-for-RSS1 documentation...

cheers,