[rdfweb-dev] Foaf-a matic (was: FOAF Website)

Oskar Welzl owelzl at pan.at
Sat Nov 20 15:48:59 UTC 2004

Hi all,

this is my first post to this list, so pls feel free to direct my to
some older threads if i'm re-inventing the wheel. and do beat me up and
verbally abuse me if this post is violating the rules of this list or is
unwelcome for some other reason; just dont ignore me ;-)

anyway, christophers 2 posts on http://beta.foaf-project.org/ reminded
me of something i thought i should say about the foaf-a-matic (because
it seems a version of it is to be included in the website):

foaf-a-matic asks for properties such as "your email address",
"homepage". it does not indicate in any way that both should be unique
to the person using the tool. quite a number of people out there IRL
share both homepage and email address with their partners/families, so i
do believe that once my friends helga and martin and their daughter
barbara will run across foaf-a-matic on foaf-project.org, they will
happily create 3 FOAF-files, each with the very same email address: HMB
at theirproviders.domain. and, no, they will not read the specs and
learn about inverse functional properties.

question now:
do I have to re-read the specs and learn what an
InverseFunctionalProperty really is - or does it make sense to address
this issue by means of a slightly changed user interface?
I could imagine IFPs being taken out of the logical context they're in
right now and add an additional block:

"Things that are unique about you"
 email addresses, homepages and chat IDs that
 are not shared. [OK; maybe the text could be more clear]

(the same issue, btw, arises when someony uses one of the
vcard2foaf-tools around; i ended up with unusable results describing 5
different people in my address book as having an email address of
"support at companydomain" )

What do you think?