[rdfweb-dev] Ontology design decisions

Ellis R Watkins erw01r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Nov 23 21:44:28 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have developed an ontology based on several others, extending them
and mixing them for my own purposes:

FOAF
DOAP
Dublin Core

Each ontology has been imported (all in OWL) into my own to maintain
semantics. This has mean I have be able to extend their classes and
properties easily.

For instance, I have extended foaf:document to include properties that
are extensions of DC properties.

e.g.

dp:Document rdfs:subClassOf foaf:Document

dp:title rdfs:subPropertyOf dc:title

dp:title rdfs:domain dp:Document

Is it reasonable to mix extended classes and properties in this way?
As far as I can tell it is bad practice to simply use dc:title in my
own dp:Document since dc:title as it stands in the DC vocabulary is
not in the domain of dp:Document.

Regards,

Rowland Watkins