[rdfweb-dev] New tool: BEAT.THE.FOAM v. 0.1

Zaczek hydrozag at poczta.onet.pl
Fri Nov 26 16:01:19 UTC 2004

Hello. I have put up a tool called BEAT.THE.FOAM. It is an extension
to the popular del.icio.us tagging service.

It creates a FOAF format file based on the data contained
in the RSS feeds of a DEL.ICIO.US user.

The tool is available here: http://alteree.hardcore.lt/foam/
and it creates FOAF files here: http://alteree.hardcore.lt/foam/feeds/

The idea is to be able to track usage of vocabularies in the context of user subscriptions to
other users.

This tool creates a profile based on the FOAF syntax, which includes the FOAM module.
FOAM stands for "Friend Of A Meme". It is defined by the following namespace:

    xmlns:foam="http://alteree.hardcore.lt/foam"

a sample usage of the module would be:

<foaf:Person>
    <foaf:name>alteree</foaf:name>
    <foaf:mbox>mailto:alteree at beat.the.foam</foaf:mbox>

    <foaf:interest>
        <foaf:Document>
            <rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource="http://alteree.hardcore.lt/foam/feeds/alteree.rdf" rdf:type="http://alteree.hardcore.lt/foam" dc:title="Alter-EE" dc:format="application/rdf+xml"/>
        </foaf:Document>
    </foaf:interest>

    <foam:memes>
        <rdf:Bag>
            <rdf:li>capitalism</rdf:li>
            <rdf:li>slovakia</rdf:li>
            <rdf:li>strikes</rdf:li>
            <rdf:li>syndicalism</rdf:li>
        </rdf:Bag>
    </foam:memes>

</foaf:Person>

Why would you need it?

I don't know about you. I would use it to collect data about the way people use tags in comparison with the way other people they know use tags.

Maybe something interesting can come out of that.

Algorythm

Nothing very special here. The procedure relies on two RDQL queries:

To find all tags in a del.icio.us user's RSS feed:

SELECT ?a
FROM <feed>
WHERE (?x, <taxo:topics>, ?y), (?y, ?z, ?a)
AND ?a<>"http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Bag"
USING taxo for <http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/taxonomy/>

...and to find the subscriptions from the /rss/inbox feed:

SELECT ?z
FROM <inbox>,
WHERE (?x, <dc:creator>, ?z)
USING dc for <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/>