[rdfweb-dev] New Property Proposal: foaf:accountHomepage

Bob Aman vacindak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 20:49:30 UTC 2005

> > I'm thinking, instead of adding a new property to FOAF, why don't we
> > develop a new vocabulary specifically to this?
>
> Yes, and its something I've been considering. At the moment I'm mainly
> seeking feedback on whether others see a benefit in the additional
> metadata:
>
> - associating a homepage with an account
> - associating a foaf profile with an account.
>
> And, as Alex has just pointed out, whether there are existing terms that
> might apply.

Obviously, I would find both of those beneficial, though the first one
seems more obviously "right"; the second one might require a bit more
pondering, because of the seeAlso overlap you mentioned.  On the
subject of adding a new vocabulary versus extending the spec, I think
my vote is for extending the spec, simply because the additional
functionality would be so closely tied to classes that are already
part of the spec, whereas, in general, it seems that additional
vocabularies are more ideally associated with things which are
functionally separate from what currently exists in the base spec.

Alternatively, might it not be better to have an OnlineAccount entry
look more like:

<foaf:Person>
  <foaf:holdsAccount>
    <foaf:OnlineAccount>
        <foaf:homepage rdf:resource="http://flickr.com"/>
        <foaf:accountName>ldodds</foaf:accountName>
        <foaf:accountHomepage rdf:resource="http://flickr.com/people/ldodds/"/>
    </foaf:OnlineAccount>
  </foaf:holdsAccount>
</foaf:Person>

It would seem like foaf:homePage and foaf:accountServiceHomepage are a
bit redundant perhaps?

Bob Aman