[rdfweb-dev] responding to a new wave of anti-RDF sentiment

Peter Mika pmika at cs.vu.nl
Sun Jul 17 09:30:06 UTC 2005

Hi Jo,

I perfectly agree with you. I would add that a big part of the resentment
against RDF and the Semantic Web comes from starting off the wrong foot and
over-hyping it. You see the results in responses such as

http://lists.advocacydev.org/lists/arc/dev/2005-07/msg00018.html

People are disillusioned if they compare the uberhype of TBL's Scientific
American article (intelligent agents running around organizing our life) and
the programming reality for the average Joe.

What we can do (and you also touch upon this in your replies) is to show
that RDF is not some alien technology. Most programmers do understand fairly
quickly if you say that Literal corresponds to primitive types (string and
other datatypes) and Resource corresponds to objects, we just have these
weird names for them...

Further, the tools to make things easy to program with are propping up
everywhere. I hope that the Elmo library [1] announced a few days ago on
this list will make a difference for the Java programmer. With Elmo, it is
possible to generate a valid FOAF profile or RSS 1.0 channel in 10 lines of
Java code and the proof is at

http://www.openrdf.org/doc/elmo/users/ch02.html#d0e93

In summary: there is a lot of damage to repair wrt to the image of RDF but
there is a growing pile of ammunition to fight back those who still claim
RDF is difficult.

Best,
Peter

[1] http://www.openrdf.org