[rdfweb-dev] responding to a new wave of anti-RDF sentiment

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Tue Jul 19 07:48:51 UTC 2005

Jo Walsh <jo at frot.org> Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:56:13
>"There are no application toolkits or simple frameworks accessible in
>a low-footprint install to php-type developers"

So is this untrue?

Getting on for 2 years ago, I made exactly the same comment. AFAIK,
nothing has changed. RAP is more stable now within it's limits. There's
no work being done on the port into PEAR. There's no RDF parser built
into PHP Core. Redland has no windows PHP binaries.

"Outliners and hierarchies considered harmful"! To my eyes, the world is
mesh like, not tree like. No matter what domain you look at, there are
enough cross links to screw up the simple tree view. Which is one of the
reasons we ended up with hyperlinking and the web. But over and over
again we get these attempts to impose a tree structure on the world in
order to make sense of it. For me this is why RDF holds out more long
term promise than simple XML. I'm just sad that RDF seems to have this
layer of obscure academic language and words laid over it. And that from
where I'm standing it still looks like write only data.

Hmmm. That should wind everybody up ;-)

--
Julian Bond E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com  M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
Webmaster:             http://www.ecademy.com/  T: +44 (0)192 0412 433