[rdfweb-dev] responding to a new wave of anti-RDF sentiment

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Tue Jul 19 14:55:58 UTC 2005

Dave Beckett <dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk> Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:55:13
>Still waiting for your patches.
>
>> >redland has all these interfaces,
>>
>> It's not a low footprint install and there are no windows binaries for
>> the PHP binding.
>
>Whatever low footprint install means, you seem to be asking for the
>unreasonable.  Until RDF support ships with a standard PHP install and
>you invoke it with a 1-line call, looks like you will not be satisfied.

A low footprint install is copying a .DLL or a .so and un-commenting or
adding a line in php.ini or running install.exe

>Have you been working with the PHP Core developers over the years you
>have been waiting to get this to happen?  Do tell.  Open source means
>participating not just saying "wouldn't it be nice" and then complaining
>when nothing happens.

Dave, I don't mean to be offensive to either you or the RDF community.
But I don't have the skills or the time to get involved in toolset
programming. I can bitch and moan with the best of them and I can
evangelise when I get the opportunity. But that's all.

The fact is that Redland, good though it is, is not yet integrated into
the core PHP packages in the way that XML-RPC or DOM or Expat or any of
the hundred or so other extensions are. Until it is, I can't use it. And
until it is, RDF is going to struggle to get any traction in the PHP
community, which is rather large. And until it is, PHP programmers (of
whom there are many) are going to shy away from RDF, saying it's "hard".

Am I really being unreasonable for stating this?

--
Julian Bond E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com  M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
Webmaster:             http://www.ecademy.com/  T: +44 (0)192 0412 433