[rdfweb-dev] responding to a new wave of anti-RDF sentiment

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Tue Jul 19 15:05:18 UTC 2005

Julian Bond wrote:

> Dave Beckett <dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk> Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:55:13
>
>> Still waiting for your patches.

>>> It's not a low footprint install and there are no windows binaries for
>>> the PHP binding.
>>

>> Whatever low footprint install means, you seem to be asking for the
>> unreasonable.  Until RDF support ships with a standard PHP install and
>> you invoke it with a 1-line call, looks like you will not be satisfied.
>

> A low footprint install is copying a .DLL or a .so and un-commenting
> or adding a line in php.ini or running install.exe

That would be lovely...

>> Have you been working with the PHP Core developers over the years you
>> have been waiting to get this to happen?  Do tell.  Open source means
>> participating not just saying "wouldn't it be nice" and then complaining
>> when nothing happens.
>

> Dave, I don't mean to be offensive to either you or the RDF community.
> But I don't have the skills or the time to get involved in toolset
> programming. I can bitch and moan with the best of them and I can
> evangelise when I get the opportunity. But that's all.

I'm in a similar situation when it comes to hardcore C stuff. I wish
we still had a SWAD-Europe-like project running, so we could
send out more T-shirts as bribes, hold developer workshops, etc...

> The fact is that Redland, good though it is, is not yet integrated
> into the core PHP packages in the way that XML-RPC or DOM or Expat or
> any of the hundred or so other extensions are. Until it is, I can't
> use it. And until it is, RDF is going to struggle to get any traction
> in the PHP community, which is rather large. And until it is, PHP
> programmers (of whom there are many) are going to shy away from RDF,
> saying it's "hard".
>
> Am I really being unreasonable for stating this?

Not from my perspective. I started some PHP/RDF stuff as a Wordpress addon
and spent my first day basically learning how to make Redland and PHP talk
to each other on my Linux box. This is nobody's fault, just the state of
the
world right now.