[rdfweb-dev] isPrimaryTopicOf and homepage

Masahide Kanzaki post at kanzaki.com
Fri Jul 29 17:29:44 UTC 2005

At 5:15 PM +0100 05.7.29, Jan Grant wrote:
>And if you buy that then I've a coherent definition of "homepage" -
>
>A homepage of an entity X, is the content (not the URL) available (in
>whatever form, and possibly that content is variable) by dereferencing
>a URL that is used to denote X.

If you get an HTML (or whatever) content by dereferencing an URI, then the
URI identifies an information resource (a web page), not a person. And if
you say the URI also identifies an entity X (person), it's just a URI
collision as WebArch says.

At 11:04 AM -0500 05.7.29, elijah wright wrote:
>This gets messy rather quickly.  Folks who do genre analysis are painfully
>aware that there is no solid, coherent definition of "homepage" in use.
>The term is overloaded and rather indistinct.  Better to avoid it if
>possible, or at least apply a bit of specificity to it...
>"personalHomepage" et al subproperties, rather than "homepage" being
>overloaded to cover people, organizations, companies, data sets, et
>cetera.

Well, I think foaf:homepage itself is OK. It works fine as an IFP. But if
it is overloaded as natural language 'homepage', I'm afraid it would cause
some confusion to define it as subPropertyOf foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf.

cheers,

--
KANZAKI, Masahide a.k.a. masaka
http://www.kanzaki.com/info/webwho.rdf