[rdfweb-dev] isPrimaryTopicOf and homepage

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Sat Jul 30 09:22:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, elijah wright wrote:

> > And if you buy that then I've a coherent definition of "homepage" -
> >
> > A homepage of an entity X, is the content (not the URL) available (in
> > whatever form, and possibly that content is variable) by dereferencing a URL
> > that is used to denote X.
>
> This gets messy rather quickly.  Folks who do genre analysis are painfully
> aware that there is no solid, coherent definition of "homepage" in use. The
> term is overloaded and rather indistinct.  Better to avoid it if possible, or
> at least apply a bit of specificity to it... "personalHomepage" et al
> subproperties, rather than "homepage" being overloaded to cover people,
> organizations, companies, data sets, et cetera.

I'm well aware that this basically reduces the notion of "homepage" to
more-or-less "seeAlso". Mostly, the point I wanted to make was about
denotation; I just hung it off the homepage discussion (which I
more-or-less agree with you on).

Tel +44 (0)117 9287088 or 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
Boycott Arabic numerals! What have they ever done for us?