[rdfweb-dev] FOAF and the long dead ...

Hendy Irawan gauldong at gmail.com
Sat May 7 08:02:47 UTC 2005

> In a Factlog (http://www.the325project.org/factlog/325Factlog.xul),
> I've taken to identifying such "web-free" folks using text references -
> xpointers into references to them in well regarded texts. For example,
> take a reference to the name "Constantine" in a text, where the name
> refers to the first emperor Constantine. Such a reference identifies
> him. It answers the question, which "Constantine" with "the one
> referenced in the second paragraph of the first part of Eusebius' Life
> of Constantine". That reference is to him and no one else.

Something like that also occured to me, but then... how do *everyone*
uniquely identify a person?

One person refers to Constantine as "the first Emperor".

Another person refers to him as "Constantine, the wife of xyz".

Yet another person refers to him as "Constantine, the person that died in xxxx".

How do you know that all three refers to the same person? (suppose
they do refer to the same thing) what I can think is you need to have
a database full of [correct & accurate] facts. you know we don't have
that luxury today. (full database? you got it. correct & accurate?
seriously.)

--
Hendy Irawan
http://www.gauldong.net