[rdfweb-dev] FOAF and the long dead ...

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Sat May 7 10:20:06 UTC 2005

* conor dowling <conor at the325project.org> [2005-05-06 17:09-0700]
> I'm getting up to speed on FOAF and from what I can tell it encourages
> the use of email or homepages for identification, "Inverse Functional
> Properties" in OWL. Problem is, the long dead lack email or home pages.
> Is this something that's under consideration or of interest to anyone?
>
> In a Factlog (http://www.the325project.org/factlog/325Factlog.xul),
> I've taken to identifying such "web-free" folks using text references -
> xpointers into references to them in well regarded texts. For example,
> take a reference to the name "Constantine" in a text, where the name
> refers to the first emperor Constantine. Such a reference identifies
> him. It answers the question, which "Constantine" with "the one
> referenced in the second paragraph of the first part of Eusebius' Life
> of Constantine". That reference is to him and no one else.
>
> Has anyone taken any other approach or if you're off the web, are you
> lost to the web?

A nice idiom is to use well known documents, whose primary topic is the
person concerned. This is pretty much as you suggest, except I tend to
use entire documents rather than document fragments. The latter is
possible too. So using the 'primaryTopic' property,

<Document rdf:about="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_I_%28emperor%29">
  <primaryTopic>
   <Person>
     <name>Flavius Valerius Constantinus</name>
     <nick>Constantine the Great</nick>
     <nick>Constantine I</nick>
     <depiction rdf:resource="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/29/180px-Constantine_I_Roman_Emperor.jpeg"/>
   </Person>
  </primaryTopic>
</Document>

IMHO we have a case for an inverse of primaryTopic,  to allow the
Document details to be nested within the Person description in the
RDF/XML markup. 'primaryTopicOf' perhaps...