[rdfweb-dev] FOAF HTML spec and FOAF RDF schema don't seem to agree

Matthew Denner matt.denner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 19:56:53 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm looking at the documentation for FOAF, and trying to write some
Ruby code using the Redland Ruby bindings, and I'm a little confused:

According to the HTML spec it says:

The foaf:Person class is a sub-class of the foaf:Agent class, since
all people are considered 'agents' in FOAF.

But in the RDF schema found at http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/index.rdf
this doesn't appear to be true.  I looked at
http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/20050603.rdf and that is inline with the
HTML documentation, so I'm assuming it's something a little out of
step there.

My Ruby code automatically generates Ruby classes based on an RDF
schema.  However, when I look at the Ruby classes being generated from
this FOAF schema, my Ruby 'Person' class is missing the 'mbox_sha1sum'
property because, according to the schema, 'foaf:Person' does not
sub-class 'foaf:Agent'.  'foaf:Organization' does and that's picked up
by my Ruby code.

It's probably something I've done wrong in the code but I want to
check that my interpretation (from me physically reading the schema
itself) is right.  I'm sure it's something I'm not understanding, I
just need someone to point it out to me.

Matt

p.s. Sorry for the bad description: first time I've really used RDF in
a practical situation.