[rdfweb-dev] FOAF HTML spec and FOAF RDF schema don't seem to agree

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Sun Oct 9 20:53:45 UTC 2005

Matthew Denner wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm looking at the documentation for FOAF, and trying to write some
>Ruby code using the Redland Ruby bindings, and I'm a little confused:
>
>According to the HTML spec it says:
>
>The foaf:Person class is a sub-class of the foaf:Agent class, since
>all people are considered 'agents' in FOAF.
>
>But in the RDF schema found at http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/index.rdf
>this doesn't appear to be true.  I looked at
>http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/20050603.rdf and that is inline with the
>HTML documentation, so I'm assuming it's something a little out of
>step there.
>
>My Ruby code automatically generates Ruby classes based on an RDF
>schema.  However, when I look at the Ruby classes being generated from
>this FOAF schema, my Ruby 'Person' class is missing the 'mbox_sha1sum'
>property because, according to the schema, 'foaf:Person' does not
>sub-class 'foaf:Agent'.  'foaf:Organization' does and that's picked up
>by my Ruby code.
>
>It's probably something I've done wrong in the code but I want to
>check that my interpretation (from me physically reading the schema
>itself) is right.

You're right; sorry. We lost that triple by accident when I
last updated the spec. Will add it back in. [...] There, fixed.

I didn't do a whole set of 'last spec' / 'next spec' changes for this edit,
though I could if people prefer to make things that precise. The
underlying CVS repository knows everything so there's a version history
in public view if needed. What do folk think? Maybe have category of
minor edit (which might get listed in the spec) and major edit, which
revs the document into a full dated version?

The Ruby code sounds fun, do send a pointer round when you've
got something you're happy having folk look at...

Dan