[rdfweb-dev] Announcing "Social Networking Unlimited" at Videntity.org

Dan Libby danda at videntity.org
Fri Oct 14 22:19:48 UTC 2005

Hi, I originally posted the below message to the OpenID list, but I think it may be of interest to people here as well.  Also, I'd like to hear feedback from the RDF/FOAF community as to your opinions on:

1) the merits of integrating FOAF with OpenID for reciprocating relationships. ( See the URL below for details. )
2) how I've used FOAF linked from user profile pages and if you have any suggestions or ideas for improvement, eg for aggregator or browser auto-discovery.
3) How to best (syntactically) embed XFN data into FOAF so as to convey more meaningful relationship semantics.  ( Yes, I'm aware of the relationships module, but it is not a 1:1 mapping. )
4) Other/better ways to integrate Videntity.org with the FOAF community at large.

regards,

Dan Libby

ps, I'm new to the FOAF world.  So please forgive any novice silliness or re-inventing of the wheel I may have done.  :)

-------

Hi all,

I've become interested in exploring the possibilities that OpenID
enables.  One area that I see as being ripe for improvement is that of
Social Networking.  I would love to see all these island networks start
to join together and I think OpenID could be a key enabler.

To that end, I've added an experimental relationship module to
Videntity.org.  I call it "Social Networking Unlimited" because one can
add (claim) relationships to any URL on the web.  The trick is that in
order for a person to reciprocate the relationship, they must login to
Videntity.org via OpenID using the target URL as their identity.

The relationships are displayed on Videntity.org profile pages and are
also machine readable via FOAF and XFN, for potential export to other
sites or apps.

I invite everyone to try it out, and please let me know of any problems,
suggestions, etc.  It's still a bit rough for public consumption, but
should be straight-forward enough for folks on this list.

Info here:

http://wiki.www.videntity.org/wiki/Social_Networking_Unlimited

ps, I may not have announced it previously on this list, but the
mediawiki installation at the above URL supports OpenID logins, and the
patch is also linked to from the main page if anyone would like to give
it a try.