[rdfweb-dev] foaf:publications

Reto Bachmann-Gmür knobot at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 13:00:00 UTC 2006

Peter Mika schrieb:
> The mentioned case with the publications is a good example: if you find two
> foaf:Persons who have foaf:published the same publication, you cannot
> conclude that they are the same person. However, if their name also matches
> then you can be _very_ certain: it is highly unlikely that two authors of a
> publication have the same name.
>
> So alone it is not enough to disambiguate a person but taken together with
> other information it can very well be.

you sure can do reasonable guesses, but this work with a
publication-list as well.

> Unfortunately, I don't think content-negotiation is or ever will be very
> widespread, so I'm in favor of having a property for which we know what kind
> of foaf:Document we get as a value.

sound like a argument for dropping RDF in favor of CSV ;-)

I'm not proposing to mandate content-negotiation, but URI-schemas like
HTTP are very spread for naming foaf:Document and for this you may use
content negotiation. Not only semweb oriented server like knobot, even
apache supports it. You still may indicate the content-type of your list
of publications, but this should not be constrained by the
foaf:published property. If you prefer not use content negotiation and
feel no need for "Cool URIs" you can have the following triples in your
foaf-file:
[ a foaf:Person;
  foaf:published [ = <http://example.org/pubs.xhtml>; eg:mediaType
"application/xhtml+xml"],