[rdfweb-dev] foaf:accountHomepage reprise

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Thu Jun 1 12:22:49 UTC 2006

Ian,

Sorry for being a pain, but your examples still do not convince me.

On 1 Jun 2006, at 10:57, Ian Davis wrote:
> On 01/06/2006 07:32, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>>>
>>> The creator of the online account is the service provider,
>> That's debatable -- I think the entity primarily responsible for
>> making the content of your Flickr account is you, not Flickr. At
>> least, that's not an entirely unreasonable interpretation.
>
> You can stretch that argument for Flickr but that's the type of
> online account that is primarily for user generated content. I
> don't think that's the general case. Consider an online game where
> I generate very little content for the game but I may personalise a
> page about me. The same can be said of Amazon, ebay, AIM, any
> service that I pay to access premium content etc.

As far as one can talk about "contents" of online accounts: Every
online account will contain at least your user data, which was
created by you. Therefore I think it's reasonable to claim that you
are the (or at least one) dc:creator of your online accounts. Just as
you are the (or at least one) dc:creator of their homepages.

> Consider also a wiki like ESW. I asked for an account to be created
> so I could associate my name with edits that I make. Yet I didn't
> create a homepage for myself until months later. I know the URI of
> the latter (http://esw.w3.org/topic/IanDavis) but not the former.

I don't see what this has to do with anything. ESW accounts don't
have associated home pages. The page about you on ESW exist
independently from any user account and just happen to be hosted at
the same site.

> I think in general there is a need to differentiate the home page
> provided for me by a service [and] the service itself

Why? (What usage scenario mandates such a differentiation?)

> and the homepage of the service. FOAF supports the latter 2 needs
> but not the first.

I think the requirements you've presented so far (recording the
account's homepage URL in RDF) can be addressed without introducing
new properties. Introducing a new property is not a thing that should
be done lightly. An example of why existing vocabulary can't cope
with your requirements with a bit of goodwill would be helpful. What
do you want to *do* or *be able to say* that the modelling I have
presented before won't let you do?

Cheers,
Richard