[foaf-dev] Adding FOAF support to mod_virgule (Advogato)

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 18:29:28 UTC 2007

On 31/01/07, R. Steven Rainwater <srainwater at ncc.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 11:17, R. Steven Rainwater wrote:
> > I'm looking at adding FOAF support to mod_virgule <...>

That's great!!

> I didn't get any feedback on this,

Don't assume there isn't interest in what you're doing, this list is
built on distributed attention deficit disorder ;-)

but I took a shot at it anyway. I'm
> exporting trust metric certifications as foaf:knows and the user's
> projects as foaf:Project. Here's an example of what the output looks
> like now:
>
>  http://www.advogato.org/person/StevenRainwater/foaf.rdf
>
> Hopefully I haven't screwed it up too badly. :)

On a quick skim, that looks spot on.

> I'm unsure of my project property implementation because every example I
> found was completely different. Some wrapped each foaf:Project in a
> foaf:currentProject, some wrapped foaf:currentProject in a foaf:Project.
> In our case, the currentProject vs pastProject property doesn't have any
> meaning, so I just left it out altogether.

Ew. Do you have any examples of this?

Might be worth checking if any of the terms from DOAP might be more appropriate:

http://usefulinc.com/doap/

> The FOAF standard seems to suggest that I can put a foaf:homepage tag
> inside of foaf:Project but when I ran my output through an RDF
> validator, it complained that this wasn't allowed. Is there any sort of
> official FOAF validator around?

The RDF validator probably is the best best bet, but if you run into
problems, I don't think anyone will mind your posting examples here.
RDF/XML syntax is pretty quirky and there are different ways of saying
the exact same thing. Basically RDF's graph model doesn't map very
nicely onto XML's tree.

Also the open world assumption undermines the notion of validity somewhat. See:

http://rdfweb.org/mt/foaflog/archives/000047.html

But some additional validation/sanity-checking is possible going
outside of the RDF model. Logical consistency can be checked in OWL,
but this doesn't really come up with the bits FOAF uses. I don't know
of any live tools for FOAF, but there is EyeBall and Schemarama2
(which is used here for SKOS checking):

http://jena.sourceforge.net/Eyeball/

http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/schemarama/
http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/validation