[foaf-dev] openid, foaf and attribute exchange

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Wed Jul 25 11:05:32 BST 2007

In my post "foaf and openid" [1] Mathew asked:

"Is there a way to get this information just in the normal course of
things through Attributes in the OpenID spec?"

I read up about attribute exchange and responded this:

I searched the openid site and found the Openid attribute exchange
draft, which describes a proposed way to do this by querying the
Identity Provider (https://openid.sun.com/openid/service in my
example) for attributes. It also defines a method for storing
attributes there.
I see three problems with this:

   - It ties the identity provider to the identity. The nice thing
about OpenId, is that it separates the role of the identity provider
and the identity. This allows one to have an id (I could use http://
bblfish.net/) and change identity provider over time, as I change job
for example, or even have a number of different ones at the same
time. The OpenId attribute exchange is overloading the identity
provider (which is really an identity verifier) functionality
relating to identity description.
   - It does not feel RESTful. If something is to return information
it should have a URL. Here there is very clearly overlapping of
concerns as explained above. What is the url for information for one
identity here? I have a large alarm bell ringing when I read sections
such as: "Fetch message" and "store message". Is that not the
equivalent of HTTP GET and PUT?
   - duplicating effort. This spec is inventing a metadata format, a
query language and storage API, which is a lot of work. These things
have been done before:
      + metadata framework: as shown above RDF does this very well
already. It has a very powerful semantics, has gone through years of
review by some of the best thinkers in the world, is extensible, self
describing, etc, etc... having to learn another special convention as
proposed here, is one more unnecessary piece of work.
      + query language: SPARQL though not yet finished does
everything that is needed here as shown in the example above
      + storage: this could be done using a number of well known
technologies, such as ftp, scp, Atom Protocol, or even WebDav. AtomP
and WebDav are even nicely RESTful.

A simple link to a foaf file as described in this article covers most
uses cases, and is incredibly flexible. If one wants to have
different personas, one should probably use different openids anyway,
since as the foaf people have correctly defined it foaf:openid is an
inverse functional property. So if someone knows that

_:niceJoe a foaf:Person;
          foaf:openid <http://joe.openid.eg/>;
          foaf:nick "joey";
          foaf:email <mailto:nicejoe at love.eg> .

and also knows that

_:badJoe a foaf:Person;
          foaf:openid <http://joe.openid.eg/>;
          foaf:nick "bj";
          foaf:email <mailto:badjoe at bondage.eg> .

Then they know that

[] a foaf:Person;
          foaf:openid <http://joe.openid.eg/>;
          foaf:nick "joey";
          foaf:nick "bj";
          foaf:email <mailto:nicejoe at love.eg> ;
          foaf:email <mailto:badjoe at bondage.eg> .

An open id identifier is an identifier. You should really not be
using the same identifier if you want to have different independent
personas.

Henry

[1] http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/foaf_openid