[foaf-dev] proposal for foaf:openid property

Lukas Rosenstock lukas.rosenstock at identity20.eu
Thu Jun 21 10:21:38 BST 2007

Am 20.06.2007, 12:17 Uhr, schrieb Danny Ayers <danny.ayers at gmail.com>:

> Another use case -
>
> Use HTTP link header thusly:
>
> GET /index.html HTTP/1.1
> Host: elsewhere.org
> Link: <http://mysite.org/foaf.rdf>; rel="foaf"

Hm, seems to me like an additional layer of abstraction, which is not
necessary. The user agent could send the OpenID URL directly, e.g.:
  Link: <http://mysite.org/>; rel="openid"

But I have to agree to others, mostly you don't want your browser to send
your identity to every site you visit due to privacy reasons. However, as
an option, possible.

> client visits site/service, site picks up FOAF which contains openid
> ref. Bit of magic (sha1'd password?) and you've got autologin.

By the "bit of magic" you propably mean that the browser doesn't have to
do the redirect circle to the OpenID provider and back for autologin.
There are already multiple people in the OpenID community working on
different proposals how OpenID login can be automated even in cases where
we have a non-browser user agent, but that's all still in a very early
stage.

Regards,
  Lukas

--