[foaf-dev] FOAF-based whitelisting project

Kjetil Kjernsmo kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Sat Mar 10 23:22:50 UTC 2007

Hi all!

Some of you might have noticed that I started "Community Projects" with
the W3C semweb Education and Outreach IG, and submitted a proposal
myself, about using FOAF-based trust networks for whitelisting email.
And blacklisting too.

The project overview is at
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/FOAFWhitelisting

Importantly, I want to build it using the most basic data, really
identifying people, context-dependant trust, etc, will need to be added
as we go. I just want to make this useful as quickly as possible.

If no-one objects, I intend to use foaf-dev as the project mailing list.
After all, it should be the core topic of this list. Of course, I have
other options as well, I even have a mailman install of my own, but I
hope to engage people here, and besides, it isn't that much activity
anyway.

I've started to write some code, as plugins for Qpsmtpd and
SpamAssassins are the main deliverables on the road-map.

I've created some untested code, now at
http://svn.kjernsmo.net/qpsmtpd-foafwhitelist/trunk/check-foaftrust
and
http://svn.kjernsmo.net/Mail-SpamAssassin-Plugin-FOAFTrust/trunk/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/FOAFTrust.pm
They should be functional, though, except for one little fact, that the
trust metric is now just a random number... :-)

Chris Prather has started coding the trust module, though, and we'll see
what we can get out of this. Chris now has write access to my SVN repo,
we'll be accepting patches.

I hope people will be interested in getting involved. I hope this can be
big, I mean, we allready have like 17 million FOAF profiles out there,
and if this becomes useful, we could persuade others to support it.

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer
kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Homepage: http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/     OpenPGP KeyID: 6A6A0BBC