[foaf-dev] FOAF-based whitelisting project

Dave Brondsema dave at brondsema.net
Mon Mar 12 03:54:59 UTC 2007

R. Steven Rainwater wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 00:07 -0500, Dave Brondsema wrote:
>> While making practical incremental progress is important, I think
>> we should discuss for a little while our plans for this project
>> so that we can work in the best direction.
> =

> Well, here are a few random thoughts...
> =

> I looked at konfidi.org. The first thing I noticed is that it appears to
> need a GPG/PGP fingerprint for each user, based on the example:
>  =

Yeah, using other authentication systems besides PGP is on the todo list

>  http://konfidi.org/wiki/Create_a_FOAF_file
> =

> Adding some optional GPG fields to the user profiles is on the
> mod_virgule ToDo list but isn't likely to happen in the immediate
> future.
> =

> The konfidi format also seems more bloated than the Dan's proposed
> whitelist format: Dan's requires one line per person, konfidi looks to
> need about 21 lines of markup per person. For sites with lots of users,
> a 21x difference in bandwidth adds up.
> =

As Knuth says, "premature optimization is the root of all evil".  And
the Konfidi format says a lot more than Dan's format.  It has people
trust people (which allows the trust system to work for any identity
system, not just email addresses), and it adds trust topics and trust
values [0,1].  We should have a trust relationship format that has all
features we need, and no more.

If bandwidth is a big issue, there are more efficient ways than RDF/XML
to encode RDF triples.  For example, Turtle
http://www.dajobe.org/2004/01/turtle/

-- =

Dave Brondsema : dave at brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal