[foaf-dev] FOAF-based whitelisting project

Kjetil Kjernsmo kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Mon Mar 12 20:37:45 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 March 2007 17:17, R. Steven Rainwater wrote:
> One thing we learned on Advogato over the years was that a
> unidimensional trust metric is about the most complex thing an
> average, uninterested website user will actually use.

I think that is a very interesting observation. I kind of had that
feeling, but is interesting to hear that you have actual experience to
back it up.

> When presented
> with forms for inputting lots of different topical trust data about
> lots of people, most users just ignore it and move on to things they
> find more interesting.

I think topical trust is a very interesting field, and one that the
Semantic Web Community should and is addressing in many interesting
ways. Widespread use of it is something I think will have to come as a
consequence of applications creating compelling reasons for people to
use it, applications that depend on people creating explicit, topical
trust relationships are not very likely to succeed.

That said, I think that as we go, FOAF-based whitelisting can possibly
create incentives to create context-sensitive trust relationships.

> We also found that negative trust always got abused by people who
> realized it could be used to punish those they didn't like or didn't
> agree with. We never found a way to make a negative trust value
> useful without the false mistrust ratings being harmful.

OK. I don't have any strong opinions. I'll gladly drop the negative
scores if you think it won't be useful.

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer
kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Homepage: http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/     OpenPGP KeyID: 6A6A0BBC