[foaf-dev] spec update: FOAF 0.91 ("OpenID Edition"), Wiki repaired, and new diagram

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Sun Nov 4 14:27:18 GMT 2007

Hi all

Having fixed some sysadmin backlog (cvs 2 svn migration for both
xmlns.com and foaf-project.org, see [1]) I posted a modest revision to
the FOAF specification late friday night. Apologies for the delay
announcing it. Details (from the document itself):

FOAF Vocabulary Specification 0.91
Namespace Document 2 November 2007 - OpenID Edition
This version:
     http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/20071002.html
Latest version:
     http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/
Previous version:
     http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/20070524.html

As always, the spec has changes section with details, from
http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/20071002.html#sec-changes
[[
2007-11-02
     * terms: added foaf:openid
     * editorial: updated links to the FOAF wiki (which now supports
OpenID for logins)
     * editorial: spec now uses RDFa DTD declaration.
]]

This revision incorporates the foaf:openid property, which was already
in the RDF and in informal use since June/July. The property foaf:openid
relates an Agent to a Document, see
http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/20071002.html#term_openid for current prose
definition. I don't expect the basic nature of the property to need much
further change, but the descriptive prose is a little wooden; I'd like
to see that improved in a future version of the spec.

I'm also happy to say the FOAF Wiki is back up. Old URLs should redirect
to wiki.foaf-project.org where you'll find a MediaWiki installation
replacing the old spam-ravaged MoinMoin installation. I brought across
320 pages from the old system, including plenty of offtopic stuff from
me and others, but ommitting a lot of spamjunk. I've tagged them into
broad Category: sections, and set up MediaWiki with Evan Prodromou's
OpenID extension. Thanks to Evan both for a great extension, and for
help and advice while I was setting things up. I encourage folk here to
use OpenID whenever editing the FOAF wiki, as this will help us come up
with better anti-spam mechanisms in the future. You can do an OpenID
login using the link in the top-right of the page. OpenID fans might
also want to check out the whitelist-related work happening at the MIT
DIG group, see [2].

Last thing to mention, I've been trying out some ideas for a diagram to
summarise the core of the FOAF vocabulary (and its relationship to
neighbours such as DOAP, SIOC, DC etc). I made a couple of blog posts on
this, [3] but also just now checked the files into Subversion on the
FOAF site, [4]. Suggestions, feedback etc welcomed.

cheers,

Dan

[1] http://danbri.org/words/2007/10/30/220
[2] http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/206