[foaf-dev] Re: 'Interested In' field

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Tue Apr 8 13:53:58 BST 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 01:07:06PM +0100, Anthony Steele wrote:

> > From: Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net>
> >
> > What do you mean when you say "LiveJournal keeps this kind of data
> > internally?" I'm not aware of anything like that.
> >

> Firstly, I'm not a livejournal developer or affiliated with livejournal or its parent company in any way.
>
> I'm just looking at the way that they do friends groups as an example of simple and good way to model selective visiblity of data - i.e. make it visible to named friends groups.

LiveJournal's friends group model doesn't store, however, that a
particular group means "Colleague" or "coworker" or "family".

These groups are just plain text strings: there is no semantic meaning
that can be derived from them.

Additionally, the presence of a user existing within a group (or even
the existence of a group) is private -- no one other than the owner of
the group has the ability to find out what groups a particular user has
created, or who is in them.

Exposing this type of information would be a significant violation of
the trust of LiveJournal users, since the policy has always been to keep
that information as private as possible.

So: Yes, LiveJournal allows for grouping of contacts, but those
groupings are not public information, nor are they semantically
meaningful.

(I don't work for LiveJournal either, but I did write a fair chunk of
the original FOAF code, so I'm aware of a bit about the backend.)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer