[foaf-dev] Re: 'Interested In' field

Anthony Steele anthony.steele13 at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 8 14:21:52 BST 2008

> From: Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net>
>
> LiveJournal's friends group model doesn't store, however, that a
> particular group means "Colleague" or "coworker" or "family".
>
> These groups are just plain text strings: there is no semantic meaning
> that can be derived from them.

Correct, there is no machine-readable meaning to the groups in LJ-land. See my last email for further comments.

> Additionally, the presence of a user existing within a group (or even
> the existence of a group) is private -- no one other than the owner of
> the group has the ability to find out what groups a particular user has
> created, or who is in them.
>
> Exposing this type of information would be a significant violation of
> the trust of LiveJournal users, since the policy has always been to keep
> that information as private as possible.
>
> So: Yes, LiveJournal allows for grouping of contacts, but those
> groupings are not public information, nor are they semantically
> meaningful.

I have no intention of hacking livejournal in any way; but it's a useful example of features that I wish a new system to have, where similar information *can* be made public, at the user's discretion.

Thanks
Anthony