[foaf-dev] [Ann] Triplify / LOD Triplification Challenge

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Sun Apr 13 20:08:53 BST 2008

What Triplify does we also did, about 6 years ago. One creates dynamic SQL =
ls the dynamic SQL generation process, being derived earlier from the SQL m=
etadata.

The net result was a RETS standard - from which conforming listeners made b=
y lots of vendors export an interface for a particular query language (DMQL=
) that issue dynamic sql suited to the resources in question. A couple of r=
esponse formats were standardized, including pure XML. You can think of it =
as an early SPARQL server, which had a digest auth and vendor-specific secu=
rity models attached.

In the US realty community using RETS as a web-centric data standard, we ha=
ve a choice coming up fast. We could add RDF (in some serialization format)=
 as yet another export format to the RETS server AND add the SPARQL as anot=
her supported query language, or we can simply front the RETS server with a=
n SPARQL server (much as RETS fronts SQL). As it stands, Im choosing the la=
tter, so membership resources can be translated into FOAF on the fly, where=
 the FOAF elements are a join across multiple backend RETS resources (which=
 are themselves a join over various SQL tables...) This choice is the easis=
t to deploy, but the most inefficient to run - obviously. Being an unintent=
ional example of agent technology, it does allow any of the gateways to be =
located wherever the security model deems most appropirate, including the d=
ata-consumer site. =

As triples cannot be "replicated", a "dataset" is thus only a "triple" at t=
he last hop, this model also preserves consistency with semweb doctrine.

Peter Williams