[foaf-dev] @deprecated mbox? (and phone? etc)

Dan Brickley danbrickley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 14:55:47 GMT 2008

+cc: Tom Baker re DC, TimBL re HTTP301

Original mail here:
http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-dev/2008-February/008892.html

On 01/02/2008, Mikael Nilsson <mikael at nilsson.name> wrote:
> fre 2008-02-01 klockan 09:31 -0500 skrev Matthew Leingang:
> > > mailto:danbri at w3.org foaf:successorMailAddress
> > > mailto:danbri at danbri.org
> >
> > dcterms:isReplacedby?
>
> Beautiful!

My initial reaction was "oh, isn't that for classes and properties only"?

But http://www.dublincore.org/documents/2008/01/14/dcmi-terms/#terms-isReplacedBy

"A related resource that supplants, displaces, or supersedes the
described resource."
"This term is intended to be used with non-literal values as defined
in the DCMI Abstract Model
(http://dublincore.org/documents/abstract-model/). As of December
2007, the DCMI Usage Board is seeking a way to express this intention
with a formal range declaration."

So, this works for me! Nice. How should we specify this descriptive
pattern? Wiki page plus a link from spec?

I do want to get into the role-investigation too (work, home etc),
i.e. sometimes the replacement is qualified, especially if people are
moving from a work email to a new job + non work email. But baby
steps, we can do that later.

So what other applicability does dct:isReplacedBy have, in the FOAF area?

http://rdfweb.org/people/danbri/ dct:isReplacedBy http://danbri.org/
... not sure about that, since on some readings of HTTP 301, those
might be two names for the same thing. And I guess something can't
replace itself? (although I fired myself once ;)

danbri$ curl http://rdfweb.org/people/danbri/
<title>301 Moved Permanently</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Moved Permanently</h1>

If I do a GET on an HTTP URI r, and it returns a 301 response pointing
to r2, does the Web Architecture guarantee that the r response is
asserting: r1 owl:sameAs r2 ? (clearly the response could be in error
or malicious, so the response doesn't directly imply that r1 is r2.

But I think for the email address situation, this works nicely...

cheers!

http://danbri.org/