[foaf-dev] @deprecated mbox? (and phone? etc)

Morten Høybye Frederiksen morten at wasab.dk
Fri Feb 1 16:46:21 GMT 2008

Hi all,

On Feb 1, 2008 5:33 PM, Dan Brickley <danbrickley at gmail.com> wrote:
> We could perhaps also have a deployment convention that said, "there's
> no need to list old mailboxes in your main foaf description as
> foaf:mbox, although you can list the fact that they are replaced by
> newer ones. That would mean that any identity reasoning based on those
> mailboxes wouldn't work any more, ... unless they were using the
> corresponding foaf:mbox_sha1sum instead. This is worth encouraging
> anyway.
I think that's a good way to go: Put foaf:mbox for your current
address in your file if you're fine with possibly adding to the spam
volume but want to make it easy for your friends to contact you, and
try to keep all foaf:mbox_sha1sum's around for easier merging accross
time.
Only problem is that the spam volume makes us all want to do the opposite...

> I've been talking with Libby Miller and Dirk-Willem van Gulik
> btw about extending the definition of foaf:mbox_sha1sum to include
> (within the value string) an optional nonce
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_nonce), to make them more
> private. But more on that separately...
Sounds interesting. I guess we're just waiting for the day where
someone bruteforces an attack on FOAF'ers' mbox'es...

Regards,
Morten