Fwd: [foaf-dev] @deprecated mbox? (and phone? etc)

Dan Brickley danbrickley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 19:26:50 GMT 2008

Oops meant to cc list too

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dan Brickley <danbrickley at gmail.com>
Date: 1 Feb 2008 11:26
Subject: Re: [foaf-dev] @deprecated mbox? (and phone? etc)
To: Matthew Leingang <leingang at math.harvard.edu>

On 01/02/2008, Matthew Leingang <leingang at math.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008, at 10:35 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:
>
> > This is a nice example I think, of how the RDF design can be really
> > decentralist, and result in unexpectedly useful recombination of
> > independently developed parts. Well, not completely independently -
> > it's good that we all talk :) And thanks Matthew for the suggestion to
> > use DC...
>

> Hey, thanks.  I've been, you might call it, a metadata "fan" for a
> while, having lurked on these mailing lists and read up on RDF, LOM,
> and Dublin Core for years now.  Folks like you and Mikael do some
> really cool stuff.  So I value the compliment a lot.

cheers, it's a great community to be in :)

> I've been toying with an idea of a LaTeX package that would allow
> authors the ability to provide metadata for their documents.
> Compiling the document could produce a parallel metadata file, but
> could also embed metadata into the PDF serialized as RDF/XML with its
> eXtensible Metadata Platform.  Then PDF-enabled search utilities
> (like Spotlight) should be able to filter that metadata.

Oh, nifty. Paola was asking about Bibtext here,
http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-dev/2008-January/008869.html
... and I know so little that I have Bibtex and LaTex jumbled in my
head. Is there a relationship beyond the spelling?

> As this is not my day job, I haven't had much time to do anything
> with it.  I'm thinking first about the interface so my colleagues who
> have no interest in RDF but who can use macros like \author{...}
> would have a shot at using it.
>
> Do you know of anyone working along these lines?
>
> Greetings from Boston,

Cool maybe see you next week at
http://esw.w3.org/topic/CambridgeSemanticWebGatherings/Meeting/2008-02-12_Gathering
 ?

cheers,

Dan

(typing fast as I've overslept checkout time at a hotel :)